At Sovereign, we value our brokers and compensate accordingly.
Our broker compensation program is designed to recognize the value that independent brokers bring to the table, including risk management, loss prevention and coverage compatibility with risk and exposure. Other value-added services include policy issuance and risk selection. Click here to see Sovereign's commission schedule.
Contingent Commission/Profit Sharing
Sovereign recognizes that independent brokers who know their markets represent their clients best and provide value-added services to the insurance relationship and transaction. You have a choice of which companies you trust to place your clients’ business with. This in turn contributes to the profit and long-term financial stability of the insurance companies they use. For Sovereign, it also means that we’re able to further drive the purpose of helping to protect Canadian businesses and the communities they serve. Profit sharing is a method insurance companies use to recognize this reality.
Sovereign's profit sharing is based on portfolios of business, never on an individual account basis, and whereas the amount of the sharing may vary with volume, the long-term profit is the primary determinant of payment. Larger more stable portfolios have the ability to absorb large losses or events and provide the basis for long-term profitability.
Ownership & Loans
From time to time, subsidiaries of The Co-operators Group Limited have provided financial support, in the form of equity investments or loans, to a small number of brokers for the limited purposes of succession continuity and business expansion. We expect these arrangements would in no way impact the advice given to customers, but we are committed to having these brokers disclose any financial arrangements to their clients. The Sovereign General Insurance Company itself has no ownership or loans with its independent brokers.
Relationship with intermediaries
As a subsidiary of The Co-operators Group Limited, Sovereign is an affiliate of four companies that act as intermediaries for specific client needs:
- Premier Canada Assurance Managers Ltd. offers specialist commercial insurance, including construction, environmental, professional liability and specialist casualty.Premier Marine Insurance Managers Group (West) Inc. offers specialty personal lines insurance, including boat or yacht insurance.
- HB Group Insurance Management Limited offers automobile and property insurance programs, mainly to employer sponsored groups, professional associations and affinity groups. These programs are marketed under The Co-operators Group Auto and Home Insurance brand and Co-operators Assurance group automobile et habitation in Quebec. HB Group also administers the CUMIS home and auto insurance program.
- Federated Agencies Limited and Unifed Insurance Brokers Limited support The Co-operators agency system by providing access to a range of insurance and financial service products not manufactured by The Co-operators.
If you have any questions about your broker's compensation for a specific policy or portfolio, please contact your independent broker.
For more information:
- Visit the website for the Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) at www.ibc.ca, the national trade association that represents the companies which insure the homes, cars and businesses of Canadians.
- Visit the website of the Canadian Council of Insurance Regulators at http://www.ccir-ccrra.org/.